Friday, January 29, 2010

mish fehema




which is the colloquial phrase for I don't understand! I don't understand! and which is a term I wish I would have known when leaping into an overpriced airport cab sweaty, bedraggled, delirious, and lugging three wheelless bags. Rewind about an hour and there I am with bags in tow, frantically searching for my name in english, my name in arabic, my name in anything plastered across someone's airport pick-up sign. No such luck. And so, after scoping out the pay phone situation in the baggage terminal (when I approached the one phone to be found, I received a series of hand signals by a formidable guard which I took to mean: 'the only phone here does not work'), I decided that braving the taxi hassle was my only bet. The taxi incident transpires as follows:

[note: I did not know my address]
Maya: "American University dorm in Zamalek"
Cab Pimp: "ahhh American University"
[Cab Pimp shuffles Maya to Second Tier Cab Pimp]
Cab Pimp: "American University"
Second Tier Cab Pimp: "ahhh American University"
[Second Tier Cab Pimp then shuffles Maya to a young driver sitting on a car that is apparently a taxi]
Second Tier Cab Pimp: "American University"
Young Driver: "ahh American University"
[Maya deposits bags in truck of apparent cab; Maya and Young Driver enter car]
Maya: [to Young Driver in rusty Arabic] the American University houses in Zamalek, yes?
Young Driver: (veryfastwordsinArabicthatIcouldntunderstand!)

And this is when 'mish fehema' could have potentially alleviated the trouble that was to come. Young Driver proceeded to take me NOT to the Zamalek dorms (sidenote: Zamalek, the region where I am living, is an island in the middle of the Nile!), NOT even to the American University campus, but apparently understood that I wanted to be stranded at the old campus that is no longer in use. al-hamdullilah.

Another taxi ride eventually sent me to my Nile-side home.
...


The next bit is inspired by Erica! and will go by the title 'Cairo is a Place of Pure Sensory Overload,' or C.P.P.S.O. for short.

sight: the panorama of the city as seen from the hill at al-Azhar park. Al-Azhar in and of itself is stunning!: the largest park/green strip in Cairo complete with landscaping and fountains. Roommate Amy, friends Emily and Ryan and I had a lovely time relaxing in the park, looking out over our new home and pinpointing various colored windows amidst the sandy mass of chaotic buildings. There's a picture above.
sound: the clot-clot-clot-troping of the horses hooves as we rounded the torch on the rocky hill overlooking the pyramids. I temporarily named my horse Sicilia. She had a penchant for veering right which allowed me some much appreciated time away from the group to soak up the pyramids and the moon.
smell: sweet sweet sheesha smoke emanating from every cafe and from Abu as-Said where Amin, a local and fellow AUC student, took a group of us for a Cairene lunch. Pigeon was a considered option on the menu. My roommate Amy and I instead settled on splitting a meat+tomato sauce+rice dish called Fet-ha, an oriental salad, and apple sheesha.
taste: Foel pictured below bought in a hidden alley from a street vendor at Khan al-Khalili, a GIANT and sinuous Egyptian bazaar. As far as I can tell, Foel consists of fava beans mixed to the consistency of refried beans and served with heavenly, pillowy bread and juicy tomato salads. I paid for this delicious meal at 4 in the morning, but it was well worth it.
touch: surprisingly, Cairo is much cooler than I expected. Alright, alright, it IS winter here, but I was told to only bring a light sweater. Days are 75, but I'm shivering nights.


...

Further highlights include!:
-arriving at my dorm (FINALLY!, see taxi incident above) walking into an open room, unpacking my bags, saying hello to 'roommate', passing into a deep and blissful sleep....and waking to realize that I had moved into and slept in the wrong room. al-hamdullillah.
-being able to find a cab after the hysteria of a successful soccer match and bargain for a good price
-visiting campus (an hour away). It is LITERALLY an oasis in the middle of the desert


well, enough for now
ma'a salama!

3 comments:

  1. The household of 2905 Ferry just read and adored your post... We want more! You sound lovely as ever, Maya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mayaaaaaa!! alayna and i are sitting on a couch by the wood stove reading this while quinha is a little farther away in the living room (for obvious malodorous reasons...) SEND US YOUR ADDRESS.

    love,
    2905 ferry st.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maya, I have a feeling you "are not in Kansas anymore"! What an adventure and you're writing is evocative of Cairo as I remember it. Thank you for taking the time to blog. Maybe this will be like Julia and Julie and turn into a book deal and movie! Love, Auntie Joni

    ReplyDelete